South San school board vacancies to be filled next week

Written by on September 10, 2019

South San school board vacancies to be filled next week

South San ISD school board vice president Gilbert F. Rodriguez listens to community members during a special meeting to discussing and possibly take action on three vacancies on the board that were created when three trustees resigned unexpectedly last week on Monday, Sept. 9, 2019.

Days after the exodus of three South San Antonio Independent School District board members, the four remaining trustees took steps to appoint their replacements.

On Monday night, trustees Connnie Prado, Gilbert Rodriguez, Shirley Ibarra Pena and Homer Flores voted to accept applications for the vacancies.

Trustees had the option of nominating individuals to be considered by the entire board. It also could have called a November special election, but would have had to order it by Sept. 20, with a candidate filing deadline of Sept. 26.

Instead, trustees will interview candidates and select replacements during their Sept. 18 meeting.

Mandy Martinez, Louis Ybarra Jr. and Elda Flores all resigned last week to protest the board majority’s decision to buy out the contract of Superintendent Alexandro Flores. The three former trustees had been on the losing side of key board votes since elections in November changed the makeup of the board.

Required Reading:Get San Antonio education news sent directly to your inbox

Three district residents who regularly attend board meetings offered encouragement to the remaining trustees, with Angie Olvera calling the three who resigned “sore losers.”

“(Now) we can find additional board members like the board members who are here serving tonight. That’d be great,” resident Juan Vigil said.

Prado, the board president, defended against negative comments made by the departing trustees and reiterated the board’s commitment to developing three recently reopened schools.

“We can never forget why each of us is here,” Prado said. “If our students succeed then our school district succeeds.”

In a letter to the remaining four trustees, the district’s lawyer, Kevin O’Hanlon, advised that they appoint the replacements. By law, trustees have180 days to fill the vacancies, which would have been March 7. O’Hanlon warned that the board could be crippled in future meetings if any one member was unable to attend because four of them must to be present for there to be a quorum to conduct business.

Terms for the appointees will expire in November 2020. Ybarra and Flores’ terms would have expired then anyway. Martinez, who was just elected last year, had more than three years left of her term. State law requires that an appointee can serve only until the next regular election to fill the remaining unexpired term of that seat.

On ExpressNews.com:Departing South San ISD super to get $187K in separation agreement

The day after their resignations, the former trustees called on the Texas Education Agency to take over the elected board. At least three state elected officials — Rep. Diego Bernal and state Sens. Pete Flores and José Menéndez — have said they favored more state oversight of the board.

“Am I the only one who thinks TEA should take over South San?” Bernal wrote on Twitter last week.

A TEA investigation of the district was opened in April in response to complaints that board members overstepped their authority in moving to reopen three closed schools — Athens Elementary, Kazen Middle School and West Campus High School. The state agency is not bound by a timeline.

In a series of 4-3 votes, the board overruled Alexandro Flores’ recommendations and proceeded with reopening the shuttered campuses. The schools did not draw as many students as projected when they opened last month and board members blamed the superintendent for not doing enough to promote and market them.

Krista Torralva covers several school districts and public universities in the San Antonio and Bexar County area.

1. Pingback:

2. ovaKaWhich   On   August 8, 2021 at 4:21 pm

Зарубежные и русские песни на сайте https://uzxit.net/ найти можно действительно просто. Казахские и турецкие песни, как и музыку других народов найти можно всего в несколько кликов. На любых носителях можно воспроизводить песни в высоком качестве. Песни кавказские также зажигают огни в сердцах многочисленных слушателей, а музыка подходит хорошо для выработки адреналина.

3. enovaLob   On   August 10, 2021 at 4:26 pm

Бинарные опционы с Prime Option на сайте https://primeoption.ru/ открываются в принципиально новом режиме в контексте рассмотрения валютного рынка. Высокая степень доходности определяет отличие одних биржевых активов от других, а описание ценовой разницы всегда предоставляется в доступных диапазонах. В вопросах прибыльности в плане торговли, фиксированный доход регламентируется различными брокерскими условиями, приоритетными достоинствами и не только.

4. prohoStype   On   August 14, 2021 at 2:53 am

Информационно-новостной портал на сайте https://kinoafisha.pw/ поможет киноманам оставаться в курсе событий. На сайте публикуются новости из киноиндустрии, а также обзоры на различные картины. На портале можно найти даже неординарные новости, посвященные манге и аниме. Можно ознакомиться с наиболее актуальными публикациями или перейти в раздел популярного – самых просматриваемых новостей и обзоров. Кроме того, на сайте также есть возможность посмотреть некоторые фильмы в онлайн режиме. Все, что нужно киноманам – на одном ресурсе.

5. clomid instructions day 5 9   On   August 21, 2021 at 6:10 am

Good day I am so thrilled I found your blog page, I really found
    you by mistake, while I was looking on Bing for something else, Regardless I am here now
    and would just like to say kudos for a fantastic post
    and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have
    time to go through it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a
    lot more, Please do keep up the excellent work. https://buszcentrum.com/clomid.htm

6. clomid instructions day 5 9   On   August 21, 2021 at 6:10 am

Good day I am so thrilled I found your blog page, I really found you by mistake, while I was
    looking on Bing for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a fantastic post and
    a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I
    don’t have time to go through it all at the
    minute but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will
    be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up
    the excellent work. https://buszcentrum.com/clomid.htm

7. Seiffede   On   August 26, 2021 at 7:56 am

Добрый день.
    Посоветуйте путнюю типографию для изготовления журналов
    Мы работали с одной типографией, качество, цены и скорость у них хорошее,
    но они находятся в Красноярске, а мне нужно в Новосибирске.
    Вот печать папок https://4uprint.ru/products/papki

8. roninalups   On   August 29, 2021 at 5:59 am

На канале https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYpEAAvyesi2pGEOPHkkn9w каждый желающий может смотреть стримы Мишани Питерского. Под завтрак, по пути на работу или учебу, просто во время занятий своими делами – стрим отлично впишется в любые события за день. Благодаря Мишане Питерскому и его контенту точно можно забыть о том, что такое скука. Чтобы не пропустить ничего на канале, можно подписаться и поставить колокольчик – тогда будут приходить уведомления о новых видео и стримах.

9. nwbuyqDig   On   September 4, 2021 at 1:55 am

Сегодня не стыдно обращаться к психологу. На сайте https://ack-group.ru/ можно заказать консультацию специалиста. Психолог готов провести семейные сеанс для решения проблем в браке, индивидуальный сеанс, а также поработает с подростком. Все сеансы имеют разную продолжительность – это указывается на сайте. Также по ссылке можно узнать стоимость консультаций, прочитать полезные статьи и ознакомиться со штатом психологов. Больше информации можно получить на сайте, там же есть контакты для записи на консультацию.

10. instagram takipçi satın al   On   September 12, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Global Gerçek İnstagram Takipçi Satın Al
    Hem gerçek hem de kalıcı sosyal medya takipçisine ulaşmak oldukça zordur.
    Bu sayı 10 bin olduğunda çok daha zordur.
    Takip2018 uzman ekip üyeleri tarafından sağlanan gerçek ve kalıcı takipçiler ile
    sosyal medya hesabınız kısa sürede Keşfet sayfasında yerini alabilir.

Siz de İnstagram takipçi satın al kategorisinde yer alan 10 bin yurt içi ve yurt dışı takipçinin yer aldığı
    paketimizi tercih edebilirsiniz.

Diğer tüm paketleri görebilmek adına instagram takipçi satın al
    linkimiz ; instagram takipçi satın al

11. rkydfbruth   On   September 13, 2021 at 6:43 am

Детективное агентство “Приоритет” поможет решить деликатные проблемы с помощью профессионального сыска. Сотрудники компании помогут найти информацию, проследят за человеком, организуют круглосуточное наблюдение, чтобы клиент остался доволен результатом. Компания предоставляет услуги частным лицам и бизнесу, гарантирует полную конфиденциальность и эффективное решение. На сайте https://spb-detective.ru/ можно детально ознакомиться с услугами, узнать цены и оставить заявку.

12. pcceeIsogs   On   September 14, 2021 at 9:09 pm

Опытные педагоги на сайте https://funny-show.ru/ способны помочь каждому ребенку в вопросах его развития. Творческое развитие началось с научного шоу. После открытия своего дела, деятельность проводилась в двух разных городах. Благодаря накопленному опыту, развитие стало непрерывным, что положительным образом сказалось на развитии подрастающего поколения.

13. hydroxychloroquine coronavirus trial results   On   September 15, 2021 at 9:04 pm

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically
    tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for
    quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have
    some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything.
    I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates. https://hhydroxychloroquine.com/

14. hydroxychloroquine coronavirus trial results   On   September 15, 2021 at 9:04 pm

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my
    newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a
    plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.

Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading

15. Stevenbulse   On   September 21, 2021 at 6:08 pm

Если вы цените уют своего дома, вы обязательно уделите подбору мягкой мебели немало внимания.
    Выбирая нашу мебель, вы можете рассчитывать на высокое качество всех предложенных моделей.

16. Zqysruut   On   September 22, 2021 at 4:21 am

Скачать фильм через торрент в хорошем качестве фильм Ничья смотреть онлайн в качестве смотреть фильмы онлайн новинки регистрации. Новинки русских фильмов про. Лучшие новинки фильмов 2021 смотреть онлайн бесплатно. Фильмы 2021 смотреть бесплатно хорошем качестве новинки. Смотреть кино новинки 2020. Скачать фильмы новинки 2021. Сериалы онлайн новинки 2021. Фильмы новинки бесплатно. Новинки кино смотреть hd лучшие. Новинки фильмов смотреть в хорошем качестве 2021. Смотреть фильмы онлайн в хорошем 2021 hd.

17. eqwrtGox   On   September 23, 2021 at 7:08 pm

Официальный сайт интернет – магазина Iherb на русском языке https://aherbnarusskom.ru/ помогает каждому пользователю совершать покупки рационально. Для перехода на русскоязычную версию, достаточно будет всего лишь нескольких кликов. Среди множества причин популярности коммерческой площадки, отметить можно наличие положительных отзывов о качестве товаров и непосредственно самой доставке. Данный перечень можно перечислять достаточно долго, однако больше о причинах популярности магазина можно узнать на указанном выше сайте.